Sunday, February 17, 2013

A wider perspective

What a week. I got back from Italy, I got some beautiful flowers, finally got my glasses, spent way too much money on groceries, talked with my dad multiple times, wrote some letters, had cupcakes twice, had some great time with new and old friends, made some horrible pancakes with corn flour (haha the disadvantages of not knowing enough Spanish), took a midterm, got to talk with one of my besties (Brittany-miss you!!!), had some great talks with Rusty, heard he was sick, then my sister and now both of my nephews, spent great time in the Word, cleaned my apartment (felt sooo good), and bought a awesome new candle to replace the weird smell in my room. It's been a good week.

But seriously it's been a good week. Some days I definitely felt the homesickness a little more, but nothing like the beginning. But I don't really think it's being here, it's just I wish everyone else was here with me. I love it here, I'm actually really comfortable. But there are moments I wish I had the friends and family with me. FaceTiming Britt, Clay and Logan for a bit really made me realize how much I miss them and how valuable their friendships are. Beth and I have had some really good quality time this week though. It's been amazing to see our friendship deepen. Honestly, after 16 years I didn't know that was possible, but it is-that's a complete God thing. It's also been soooooo good to make new friends. I spent Tuesday afternoon with my new friend Brenna and got cupcakes and it was soo good. We had such great conversation. Then last night we had two french girls, a scottish girl and a danish girl all come over to our house to make pancakes and talk. It was amazing! How cool is it that this group of girls from all over the world can come together in Spain. It's just hard to wrap my mind around. It's so awesome! It was nice to speak english the whole night too. Except for all of us slipping at some point because the spanish word got our point across better. God is soo good. Beth and I just loved hanging out with them. We spent three hours talking and getting to know them. How cool is that. We went all over the map (literally and figuratively). I can't wait to get to know them better. We also got to go with Julie (one of the french girls) to this american style restaurant called VIPS for brunch. It was soo yummy. I love crossants here. We had so much fun with her too. On Valentine's Day we all went and got cupcakes again. We had so many new friends there. Our friend from Russia, friends from France, it's was great. It's amazing to make friends with people all over the world. It's made me realize what a missed opportunity I have a OBU. Our international club is amazing and I'm wondering why in the world I have not been involved. Now I really understand what it's like to be an international student and there is sooo much opportunity at Ouachita to get to know students from all around the world and make them feel more comfortable. To befriend them and also share the gospel. I am so excited to be involved in that next year.

Also, I now understand how my mom felt when I got sick here that first week. It stinks. Between my sister, my nephews and Rusty all being sick was not fun, especially when I can't be there to check up on all of them. Hey, I'm learning new stuff everyday. At least I know they are all in good hands. I can't believe Jase is already 3 weeks old. I love seeing all the pictures. He's such a beautiful baby. He looks like Cole a little, but his head isn't quite as big (haha Cole you're just a cute). They make me smile soo much. I can't wait to see them when I get home.

I think as a whole this week has just really taught me about intentionality. Both with the new people I've met here and my family and friends from home. I definitely can't do it all. But I'm realizing that I need to find that handful of people and really invest in their lives. I don't want to be half-hearted, I want to love on them with the love of Christ. It's made me realize when I go back to OBU that I have to pick and choose what I want to be involved in. This last semester was great, but I was definitely trying to do too much. Some things got neglected and that's hard to look back on. Even Christ chose to really take personal time with His 12 disciples, He loved everyone and shared His love with everyone He met, but His long-lasting everyday relationships were with the twelve (and as a believe we all share in that, but I mean in person while He was on earth). I can love on everyone I come in contact with, but I may not be able to have close relationships with everyone I talk to. That's a hard concept for me to grasp at times. I get so excited to meet new people to share my joy that some times I have to realized the Lord has placed other people in their lives for deep friendships. But that doesn't mean I think it's right to be exclusive. This may not make any sense in print, but in my head it's clear haha. Well kind of, my head is really just a big mess of things too. In the same way with non-believers, I've realized I really have to take time to love on and being intentional with those God has placed in my path. To really take time for them and have real conversation. The Lord has been very faithful here in providing me with opportunities of real friendship with some girls here in Spain. I've realized He has intentionally put me where I am and allowed me to really hit it off with a handful of girls. I love it. It's so amazing and really emphasizing the importance of intentionality and purpose.

Okay enough for now. Sorry it's so long. Thanks for the prayers. :)

1 comment:

  1. Jo,
    I can see by the blog that you have been super busy but not too busy to listen to what the Lord has been teaching you.

    I loved it when you said about homesickness, “But I don't really think it's being here, it's just I wish everyone else was here with me.” I can totally relate to that. It is always better to share your experiences with those you care about!

    I can see the Lord is stretching you to reach out to all the internationals he is putting in your path.

    I love the stuff the Lord is teaching you about intentionality and purpose!! Good stuff! Being overseas and away from home is such a good experience and helps us really listen to the Lord. You are learning so much. Keep on Shining your Light. He is using you in grand and mighty ways.
    Love, Ms. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete