Monday, February 25, 2013

Almost Half Way

So this week is the last week of my second term. After Friday I will have made it half way through the semester. We have 6.5 weeks of class left and 9 weeks from today I will be back in Arkansas. WHAT?!?! That's crazy. This is our last term that is truly four weeks long and it's almost done. Next term is basically 3 weeks because we have a long weekend and we are finish the 27th for spring break. We get back in April and have 3 weeks of class then are on our way back home. It's crazy how fast the time has gone. I've been away from home for 7.5 weeks. That's I think the longest it's been ever, I think the longest I made it at OBU was 7 weeks. But then I had a phone to call my parents, I had "parents" at OBU and FBCA and I had a wonderful RA (shout out to Leigha Hill) to take care of me. I'm learning independence is great, but it is nice when I don't have to cook my food everyday, when my mom will do my laundry when I come home (bless her soul for doing it for all those years in high school with my nasty sweaty running clothes, that is true love), having someone take care of me when I'm sick or I stab myself in the hand, having someone take out my trash (OBU you've spoiled us), having someone make me fresh-baked cookies and so much more. I love being independent, don't get me wrong, but I appreciate the help and being a little spoiled every once in a while. I mean it's nice to be taken care of. But I can't believe how fast it all has gone.

Beth and I were talking. For once she's feeling a little of the homesickness. It's nice not to be alone on this issue with her; even though I do empathize for her. We were talking about what it's going to be like when we go home. We both know we're going to be excited, but when we actually get home I think we're definitely going to miss somethings here. It's weird to think about. We both agreed our beds are going to heaven though. But what about waking up that first morning? How strange is it going to be at home? How strange is it going to be living at home for over a month? That will be the first time in almost 2 years that I've spent that much time at home. That is weird. It's been cool to grow an appreciation for things at home too and at OBU. I NEVER thought I'd say this, but for once in my life I am actually missing Ouachita's caf. It's soooo easy and although I get tired of my peanut butter sandwich and spinach salads, it's soooo nice to have a place I can get "free" food (well pre-paid) and as much as I want a still make sure it's healthy and it's so close and I don't have to really make it or clean my dishes. Who knew? But I am learning to make some really good foods and I'm rockin' the stir-fry veggies. I have them down to the perfect texture-yeah, Rusty, you're gonna have to learn to like them. But seriously, we are blessed at home. We have so much. It's crazy coming here and we seriously look so wealthy, honestly in comparison we are so wealthy. People here can't travel to Italy or Paris on the weekends. Heck, most Americans who study abroad here can't really do that. I'm blessed. I'm blessed with amazing friends and family who love me way too much. I'm blessed to be in a country where I understand almost everything people say. I'm blessed to be pretty financially stable. I'm blessed to have opportunities like this to study abroad. I'm blessed to have food to eat everyday. I'm blessed by quality Christian fellowship. I'm blessed to have a God who loves me no matter how much I mess up and fail. I'm blessed to be apart of the body of Christ and to be used for His glory no matter where I'm at. There's so much. Let's be real though, I don't have to be at home to be blessed by most of these things. I'm so grateful to be here.

I really do hope the students that have opportunities like this will take advantage. It's life changing. I've learned so much here that I just couldn't have learned at home. Home is great. I love my family and friends and I have so much that allows me to be comfortable. But do I really always want to be comfortable? Do I really need to be? Should I be? I mean Christ did call us to a life of struggle and persecution. He didn't say it would be easy. In fact He said it would be quite the opposite. Even Paul said,"We must go through many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God." (Acts 14: 22) It's not meant to be easy, but in 2 Corinthians 12:10 "That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." I'm understanding more and more what this means as I grow in my faith. I'm grateful for the challenges, they draw me closer to the Father. The make me realize how much I need Him.

I have met people from all around the world here: Russia, China, Japan, Belgium, France, Korea, America, Scotland, England, Ireland, Spain (of course), Italy and many other places that aren't coming to mind. It's crazy! It expands your world-view like crazy, especially when you live in a place for 4 months. I'm realizing our way of life is so different from the rest of the world. My standards and values as a Christian are not normal to most people. For once I'm really realizing I'm the minority. Ouachita and honestly the South of America is not like the rest of the world. Duh. I mean it's not even that big. Most people don't attend church. Most people don't know what it means to have a relationship with Christ. Most people find it different that I attend church and read my Bible. Most people don't know Jesus at all. Most people think of church and being good is synonymous with the word "Christian". Most people think I'm abnormally happy (I really like this haha, thanks Lord). It's different, but it's good. I've never wanted to be in the Word more. I've never wanted to be as intentional. I've never felt as small, but empowered at the same time. There's so much. I can't really explain it well, even if I could talk. I mean let's be real, even if you heard me talk you would get confused. My sentences and ideas don't always flow well. I get very distracted and can make some very strange connections. haha

I know so many of you back home are praying. I appreciate it so much. Keep praying for the friendships we've built! And pray I stop hurting myself...that may take a lifetime though, so use your discernment.

In 2.5 weeks Beth and I will be on a plane to Brussels (hoping to see Paris the same weekend)! Then in about 4 weeks we have spring break! Bah! Salzburg, London, Edinburg and Ireland here I come. I'm about to blow up these joints. (okay, sorry I'm really not cool enough to be saying that-I usually use 5-year old phrases-that just sounds weird coming from me). 

So that's all for now. I know I write more often, but just think how long these would be if I didn't. Yeah, I know you're grateful. Thanks for reading. (You say "No pasa nada") ("Gracias")

#booya

No comments:

Post a Comment