Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Piano, Piano

Welp. I'm back from Belgium and back to class. It was an amazing break from class and seriously probably one of the best weekends of my life. Definitely the best weekend here abroad. We were beyond spoiled. My parents don't even feed that much and give me that many kisses when I'm home. Though I have a feeling when I get back from Spain they might.

The theme of the weekend was "piano, piano" which means slowly, slowly. It was wonderful. We were never in a rush to get some where. We just took our time and enjoyed the company around us. We were with an Arabic family from Turkey who all moved to Brussels as the Lord called them. It's amazing. We went to all of Leyla's sisters' houses and her parents. We had tea and/or coffee every place and something to eat. They never failed to make us feel welcomed. We got to wear slippers every place went or fancy little shoes they just wore in the house. It was cute. Every time we met someone we got about  3 or 4 kisses and a huge hug. This family loved on us. You could tell how happy they were to see Bethany too-you could see the love for her and her family. It was nice to be around such strong Christian fellowship. It's amazing how God loves through people. He provides such a deep love, o and it is soo good.

So one of the first things we did after Leyla picked us up from the airport was go have Belgian waffels. So good. Didn't see that one coming. They don't taste like American ones. They are 100x better. We went around and saw the Grand Plaza and Manekin Pis. Haha so funny and then met up with her sweet niece, Deborah. Goodness, they all just welcomed us with open arms. I feel like I gained another family.

We had Turkish tea and coffee. They even read my coffee grounds. haha They just do it for fun, but it was funny and a little scary. I will never forget Leyla's "reading" o you will be married soon and have twins. AHHHH! Not a funny joke haha. My Grandma was a twin and my sister had two kids unexpectedly. I'm young, I'm going to take it slow, I have time. haha. I turned around and told her the same thing, she understood my fear at that point. May be in 10 years. haha

We met her fiance, Bernard. He was great. He is a 60 year old Belgium man. Kind of big and hilarious. He fed us soooo well. We had what was kind of like cheese fondue with real Swiss cheese and potatoes, a wonderful salad and tomatoes and chocolate mousse for dessert. O it was good. We definitely did not go hungry. It's back to reality is Spain. But it is good to be home.

We saw some beautiful churches and amazing architecture  It was gothic style, so different from Spain, but so cool. I loved it. It even snowed on us. That was cool to see even though it was cold; however, I was at least dressed appropriately this time.

We went to their church Sunday morning. It was their last service in that building. It was so special. It's a Turkish church and literally everyone who goes is related some how, they are at least all connected in some way by family. It was great. We went to the service, sang two in Turkish that Beth and I recognized, listened to a French man preach and the pastor translate, then of course went down after for tea and coffee and talking. I loved it. Such a neat experience.

It was one of the coolest experiences of my life. I experienced a completely different culture within a different culture and it was with believers. It's amazing to see God work all around the world and to see such faithfulness in other believers. O such faith they have. It was so encouraging and challenging. I pray for the willingness they have to follow Christ where ever He leads. I'm realizing how valuable this time I have here is. I will never experience anything quite like this again in my life. I'm trying to soak it up as much as possible. It's quickly coming to an end and it makes me sad. I have met some amazing people here and I don't want to miss out on time with them. I have a new home away from home and although there are things I miss from home, I love this place. It's beautiful and I love the people I've met. I've made friendships I will never forget and have experienced cultures I never would have before. I have class with Japanese, Russians, Americans, Chinese, Germans, Koreans, French and have met people from so many places around the world. Ugh, I can't comprehend this is my life at times. It's a big blessing.

Beautiful Beth in the city.

First cathedral we saw. It was SOO tall.

Yeah this picture does not do this justice. It was ginormous. 

Mankein Pis. Haha Apparently this little boy went "tinkle", as my dad would say, on a bomb and ended the war. It's a huge deal in Brussels. They even dress him up at times.

Beth enjoying her first Belgian waffel before she got sick. 

I love the buildings and then green grass, the snow and the tree in this picture. 

This was the second cathedral we saw. I think I liked t more. The detail was insane. They love to have small statues of all the apostels everywhere through out this church. It's crazy.

Grand Plaza. Again this does not capture the true essence. 

The small building on the left I think was one of my favorite buildings I saw there. It was so cute and quaint. 

A different section of the Grand Plaza.

The Royal palace.

Beautiful street leading to the Grand Plaza.

This was a huge museum there. So cool. So much stuff from the war. It was crazy seeing a different perspective.

Our Japanese friends enjoying their first pie at Brynn and I's apartment. Brynn did amazing!!! Love those girls. 


Welp. I'm tired. So that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment