Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Blessed by friends

Day 2 of class. Why yes I've already had to miss from being sick. Haha just my luck, but o well, might as well just hop right in with everything. Besides the fact I had a long night in which I got little sleep, I was battling some weird stomach thing, got sick, went back to bed a woke up at noon. Got ready then went to explore, I can't sit inside all day. It was great though as I got the corner of the main street I ran into Beth and Brynn then almost the whole gang, besides Asaf and Hayley who were still in class. So happy to see them. We got our phones which was a relief and then went back for a siesta and Hayley and Beth came to our apartment. Poor Beth spent 50 minutes trying to find it when it should have only taken her about 10, but hey she's learning her way around Alicante. They are the best. I'm so glad we all have a place to come and be open and honest and just share what's going on. Each of us have struggles, but they are all different. I'm so glad God placed us all together. It made me feel good when Pepita, Beth's "mom", called Karissa to see if I was okay and that she would take care of me. I felt so loved.

We've hardly been here and I'm learning so much. One I know very little Spanish and I'm definitely going to need a lot of practice speaking it. But just living here I feel like I'm learning more and remembering more everyday. Being submerged in the culture is definitely the way to learn quickly. I think that is going to be my most difficult challenge for a while, but I know I'll get there. Class was a little intimidating when I've only really taken a year, which was 6 months ago, in America, then I walk into a classroom and I think on 2 words of English were spoken the entire 3 hours. My brain was hurting quite a bit when I left, but hey it's exciting and our teachers are great. Another, I am learning how much I really love being around people. They are very important in my sanity. I love that though. The Lord above all is going to be how this semester turns out. I knew how important it was, but I'm learning more how important He is in my life. Time with Him is not only something to desire, but it really is a necessity.

We have yet to meet our roommate, Adriana, I am soooooo excited to meet her. Ah! I hope she is open to the Gospel! It will be cool if all she speaks is Spanish or will be willing to help me with it at least. I think that is going to be one of the best parts of this experience. I can't wait to see how God works.

Thank you for all the prayers. This place is beautiful and I like it so far. Can't wait to tell you more about it!

Jo


The Beach is beautiful. 


Yeah drawing in the sand...I did this then thought of a mustache. ha o the irony.


1 comment:

  1. Jo,
    Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Hopefully, once you get over that bug and some jet lag you will be ready to tackle the language barrier and enjoy the culture. It is great that you are getting to see the rest of the OBU students. I know that helps when you are in a sea of strangers. Thanks for posting all the pics. It really gives us all, back here, a sense of your surroundings. Seems like you are settling in nicely. Now, if you could only get some sleep!
    Love, Ms. Jeanne
    Check out this verse. Isaiah 41:10

    ReplyDelete